How do I find the right business lawyer? A skilled attorney is a critical part of any business owner’s advisory team. Business attorneys are equipped to assist you in handling a variety of tasks that can protect you from potential legal and business pitfalls, in addition to solving existing legal issues. Follow these three suggestions to choose the correct attorney who focuses on business law:
- Think about Your Needs. When you start looking for a business attorney, it is important to consider your specific legal needs. Attorneys experienced in certain niches may be better suited for the ongoing services your business requires. Consider the following types of legal assistance you may need:
- Drafting and reviewing contracts so you understand your rights and responsibilities
- Buying or selling business assets including stock, shares, membership interest and partnership interest
- Filing reports with the Secretary of State and Texas Comptroller
- Representation in lawsuits
- Complying with laws and regulations
- Negotiating contracts with your manufacturers, suppliers, vendors, employees, and contractors
- Check out the Firm. Once you have assessed your needs, it is important to research potential attorneys. One of the first ways to do this is by asking your current network for referrals. Search texasbar.com to find out (1) if the lawyer is eligible to practice in Texas, (2) what the lawyer has reported as his or her areas of practice, and (3) whether the lawyer has been publicly disciplined. It is also a good idea to check out the law firm’s online reviews.
- Meet the Attorney at His or Her Office or Video Conference.
Once you have narrowed down your options, there are some questions to keep in mind when you are ready to meet with your prospective attorney:
- How familiar are they with your business and industry? How much experience do they have handling the issues relevant to your business?
- What is their reputation for success?
- What is their communication style? How often will they reach out to you?
- What are their billing practices?
- Who will actually be doing the legal work? Do they outsource any tasks?
- Do you feel comfortable enough to freely express your fears, concerns, and uncertainties?
- Do you trust their judgment?
There is no foolproof way to find the right attorney, but there are ways to make more informed decisions. The selection of your business attorney signifies the beginning of an ongoing relationship. It will be easier for both you and your attorney if there is continuity.
Meet Our Team Our attorneys are equipped to help you navigate the ups and downs of business ownership. We offer a broad range of legal services and the desire to help your business succeed. Call our office today and schedule a phone or video conference meeting with one of our experienced attorneys.